View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014   #91
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we rebuilding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
McNair is in the draft room every draft and knows how the decision making goes. He knows who had the final say on each pick. And he fired those he thought responsible, the coaches.

Now if you say that makes Smith little more than a figurehead who does contracts and tries to make some draft day trades. No argument from me.

Edit: as for the rest of your post, that just shows we ARE rebuilding. I don't disagree with that either.
Its pretty obvious that McNair believes we have more talent on this roster than we actually do .... and fired Gary for failing to get what he thought was a contender to contend. The expectations were sky high last season going in .... He's pretty much said exactly that with his expectations of a quick turn around. "We have a lot of talent."

I've got news for him ..... we don't have near as much talent as he thinks we do and this will not be a contender next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Remember when we drafted back and got Duane Brown? Remember the story Kubiak himself told that Rick Smith had one more trade back option and Kubiak yelled at him not to take it for fear they might miss Brown? If Smith was in control of the draft and all personnel moves then how does Kubiak have the power to veto a draft day move that would get the team an additional draft pick??
Can you blame him for wanting his guy there and arguing the point of missing out on him ? Brown has been

That didn't mean Gary had more or less control over the draft than Smith , just that in that case he made his case , argued his point and got his guy.

Bottom line is that roster building is Smith's job .... he has to get guys that fit the description given by the coach. That hasn't changed with the new coaching staff.

Quote:
It's well understood how much of a control freak Kubiak is on game day; what makes you think draft day would be different?
I really think that's a misconception. The QB has a lot of freedom to change plays , thing is that those changes are built into the play prior to the snap.
He can change from a run to a pass .... from the same set.
He can change a route or a combination of routes , he can change the protection based upon what he see's at the line. Many things can change while the appearance stays the same.

Many people assume "we don't call audibles" to mean we don't make adjustments , that's simply not true and has been argued and explained here several times in the past ..... but the myth lives on , mainly because Gary fell on the sword covering for Schaub after a pick six this season saying he couldn't change the play when in actuality he had several options available and didn't take advantage of them.

Rosenfels even explained this in an interview at one point saying how flexible & QB friendly this offense was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Like I said, they have to pull some rabbits out of some hats to be able to put us in contention this year.

That, or maybe hire some hit-squads to go out and kill, main, or destroy the reputations of several of our competitors.
I have 19 rabbits in the back yard .... with 3 litters due next month. I'll help supply the rabbits to pull outa the hat .... but I don't think I have near enough.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote