View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014   #75
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we rebuilding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
We'll see.
The offense will be brand new and the guys installing and implementing it are mostly new to the NFL.

The defensive side has some history and with the retention of Kollar, a little bit of continuity.

Personally, I don't think Rick Smith actually picked the players that were drafted. He and his scouting team complied a list of prospects based on what he knew Kubiak and Wade wanted to execute the offense and defense, respectively. Then Wade and Gary ranked those players from "most desired" to "he'll do" and Smith made picks accordingly.

To expect the scouting staff and Rick Smith to know what kind of players O'Brien and Crennel want to make their offense/defense be successful without ever seeing it is hopeful at best, IMO.

So this year is shaky because the parts of the team responsible for selecting all the right players for the respective schemes are just getting to know each other.

Side Note:
For those who wonder why Rick Smith is still here, ask yourself who would O'Brien have wanted in that job? Unless you can point to someone - with GM experience - who's worked with O'Brien and knows what he looks for in players, then there's no advantage to firing Rick Smith.
Flame away.
Big hope is that at the end of the day for me that Gary was pulling the strings in the draft and scouting. Hopefully, with Gary gone the draft, his now removed scout team, and the staff developing picks will be better. We won't ve able to tell this year obviously.

I don't think O'Brien wanted nor deserved a gm\coach position That's not even what I'm implying. Big question is who had the ultimate call on picks and if Rick pinned that bad history on Gary.

Not sure what you mean in not saying there's an advantage with someone at management level who knows what O'Brien is looking for vs Smith. Either way we're not sure who works better with who, but we do know Smith has had questionable drafts. Just matters on who gets credit or blame.

Either way, I'd hope Smith understands him keeping his job moving forward is DIRECTLY correlated to OB's success. Not a good start to the off season for a team coming off a 2-14 season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRingo View Post
I think we are in a total rebuild mode. I believe O'Brien will trade our first and second for multiple picks a la the Pats. Maybe we will be able to compete in a couple of years. Just my opinion.
Any hope we had of trading out of 1st pick almost rested solely on Clowney blowing the combine out of water. Didn't happen. There's pretty much no way the FO is moving out of 1.1. However, there's going to likely be great value at 2.1.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote