View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014   #68
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19488 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Getting depressed about our direction

This post might get to be a little long. I'm posting it mainly so that someone out there can disagree with me, and hopefully make me a bit more optimistic about the future. Basically, as time has gone on (basically since the O'Brien hire), I've been getting more and more pessimistic about the future for the Texans.

When we hit the end of the season, I was actually optimistic. I saw our team as one with good potential (I really thought we were playoff bound at the beginning of last year). I saw the coaching change as addressing the biggest problem we were facing. And, with the #1 pick in the draft and a set of QB prospects that looked good, I thought we were on our way to fixing our biggest player weakness (QB) and would have some good draft picks with which to plug some other holes.

Since then, what I've seen is:
1) We've lost lots of people in Free Agency. Except for Antonio Smith, I don't really care about most of them, specifically, but we've now got more holes to fill.
2) We have yet to bring in anyone new in FA. I wasn't really expecting much, but it seems that there's nothing but an outflow of players. I'd like to see someone brought in just to make it seem like this team has a clue in what direction it wants to go. Sitting by mostly passively during FA makes it seem like there's no real direction.
3) Meanwhile, I feel like the draft options are getting worse and worse. Rather than one of the QBs like Bridgewater or Manziel establishing himself as a clear number 1 option, they have kind of faded in the discussion. Now in the discussions we get players like Clowney (who I think of mainly as a guy who has talent but was easily shut down, and seemed to take plenty of plays off), or Bortles (not impressive to me as a player, and not sure why he's so high in the discusison now), or Mack (I don't like the idea of having to go LB at #1 overall, since it seems you can often get good LBs later on...). While I used to be pumped up about the #1 overall pick, I'm now finding I hope we trade out or something, since no one strikes me as someone worthy of the pick.
4) I don't really care whether our coaching staff is super-talkative (in fact, probably better that they aren't), but I'd like some reassurance that they have some direction they are heading in. I wasn't that excited about O'Brien, but I know we needed a change, and I'm happy to give him a chance. But, I'd like to know something about his plans in a broad sense - i.e. does he plan to blow up the old team, or does he think this one just nees a few key parts, or what. Part of my concern here is that I felt like the team needed fixing, but it seems the staff might be treating it as a complete rebuild or something.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote