View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014   #65
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 293364 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we rebuilding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
LOL I wouldn't exactly look at TB as a model to follow. Recently, they've consistently been big spenders in FA. And they may have actually lost more games than they were before.
I would chalk up last year's failures to the HC/QB circus they had. Lovie will bring some sanity and stability. And I think they have to make moves given that their division has three studs at QB in Matty Ryan, Drew Brees, and Cam Newton. They don't really have time to wait on youngsters to develop if they want to stay halfway competitive. I think they have to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I've said it a million times and I'll say it again. You build through the draft and you complement those pieces through FA. Every single successful franchise does this. Every single one.

Why hamstring yourself with FA signings who you will have to overpay for? Especially when the cap situation you inherited is far from ideal. Wait it out and find the bargains. Then fill your holes in the draft.

We'll be more active in FA next year after the coaches have had a year to see where the current group of players fit the system. But I would still be surprised to see this regime become big spenders.
I pretty much agree with this philosophy. And I believe that the bolded answers the "are we rebuilding" question "Yes we are" if it isn't clear for you). The coaches need at least training camp and preseason to see where the holes are and the scouting team needs to get that input to see who's out in the college and next year's F/A group that might fit (and that we can afford). In fact, they may need a whole season to get all these ducks in a row.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote