View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014   #61
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we rebuilding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I agree. I'm not saying go all in FA, but I have real concerns about the history of this organization and developing talent and keeping it in house. I do hope a lot that this staff does a much better job of it. If the FO really wants to build through the draft, gotta get better at the draft.
We'll see.
The offense will be brand new and the guys installing and implementing it are mostly new to the NFL.

The defensive side has some history and with the retention of Kollar, a little bit of continuity.

Personally, I don't think Rick Smith actually picked the players that were drafted. He and his scouting team complied a list of prospects based on what he knew Kubiak and Wade wanted to execute the offense and defense, respectively. Then Wade and Gary ranked those players from "most desired" to "he'll do" and Smith made picks accordingly.

To expect the scouting staff and Rick Smith to know what kind of players O'Brien and Crennel want to make their offense/defense be successful without ever seeing it is hopeful at best, IMO.

So this year is shaky because the parts of the team responsible for selecting all the right players for the respective schemes are just getting to know each other.

Side Note:
For those who wonder why Rick Smith is still here, ask yourself who would O'Brien have wanted in that job? Unless you can point to someone - with GM experience - who's worked with O'Brien and knows what he looks for in players, then there's no advantage to firing Rick Smith.
Flame away.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote