Originally Posted by ObsiWan
1. The 4-12 Tampa Bay Buccs
2. Signed 8 free agents including their guy (Lovie Smith's guy) at starting QB. We have no clue what O'Brien intends to do at QB or anywhere else for that matter.
- QB - Josh McCown from CHI (former B/U under Lovie wasn't he?)
- DE - Michael Johnson from CIN
- CB - Alterraun Verner from Tenn
- C - Evan Dietrich-Smith from GB
- DT - Clinton McDonald from SEA
- LB - Jonathan Casillas resigned
- OT - Anthony Collins from CIN
- TE - Brandon Myers from NYG
The biggest TB F/A loss was Darrelle Revis who, when you think about it, may not have been an idea fit for the Tampa-2 Lovie likes as the basis for his defense.
3. You know who we've lost. We've re-signed one, each, #2 TE.
Now I have no insight into how well these moves will work for Lovie down in Tampa. Hell they may all fall completely flat. But, by Gawd, at least he seems to be addressing team weaknesses.
Also, since Tampa only has 5 picks in this year's draft, maybe there was more urgency to do something in free agency.
I really believe the lack of activity in FA means they realize the coming season isn't one in which they compete and because of that , there is little reason to spend in an inflated FA market especially while they are already up against the cap with big money due next year to JJ Watt.
The goals this season are pretty clear : clean up the cap , develop a QB and get their rookie HC some OTJT.