View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014   #897
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 44205 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
My point is, I don't agree that there is much benefit in cutting him now vs. next year. Either way we are going to spend that extra 10-11 million on a vet QB contract. See Josh McCown 2 year deal.

And Schaub has zero incentive to renegotiate his deal IMO. And the Texans have zero leverage to make him do it.

It might be the best idea to keep Schaub for another year and give him the money, maybe he can turn it around and increase his trade value while giving our #1 pick more time to learn the NFL.

Its the size of his contract that have people resisting him.Gabbert is cheap. And young.
Perhaps I should have made this clearer. The extra ~$11M is for just 2014. 2015 would be an another $13.5M (Making it the equivalent of a ~$24.5M two year contract) and 2016 would be another additional $15.5M, (Making it the equivalent of a $40M three year contract)

Again, this is over the $10.5M in dead money we have to count against the cap.

I do not think it will take this much to get a backup since this is the price of a mid tier starter. But Schaub MIGHT be willing to negotiate on his non-guaranteed salary to reflect the price of a veteran backup and occasional starter.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote