View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014   #279
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Potential Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
You said "I am suggesting guys who can be had cheap and on short term deals." I'm saying I don't think SS or BB will be cheap for the Texans. We don't have much money to play with right now, and I doubt Steve Smith will come here unless we are the highest bidder. I think Smith will get an offer of about 5m APY for a couple years from a contender. I don't think he would choose the Texans unless we make a much higher offer in the 7m+ range.
I think your numbers are too high. He is coming off a contract as #1 which averaged $7.5 mil per year. He was due $4 mil this year and was cut...and is still going to receive $3 mil from them no matter what contract he signs. They are paying $3 mil cash and $2 mil in additional cap hit to get rid of him. I think there are only a couple teams like Seattle who just lost Tate who he will offer any significant discount to (maybe NE if they have any cap left after Revis). Other than that it is all highest bidder. I think his highest bidder market is around $4 mil. 32 year old Wes Welker signed for $6 mil/yr.

Quote:
Browner might come here if the Texans are interested, but I highly doubt that he passes McNair's character test. New regime though, so who knows. I'd like to have him for sure.
I have always believed the "Texan's worthy" stuff was more fan mythology rather than reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here but, once Cassel resigned with the Vikings, RT should have gone to the top of our list of veteran FA's to sign. We should've been looking to sign one of the best young players available for that position, even if it cost the lions share of our FA cap money. There were several very good RT's available this year. Do we really won't to protect our franchise QB (once we find him) with a 2nd tier RT?
It isn't good policy to force priority of needs without consideration for what is available. I mentioned RT as something to look for in free agency. That doesn't mean willy nilly fling money. We can live with a 7 rated guy for $3 mil/yr if the 8 rated guy wants $8 mil/yr. Either one is a huge upgrade on a 1 rated guy.