View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014   #448
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Matt Schaub gives Texans best chance to win in 2014" -Marshall Faulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Yeah... the overwhelming majority of Texans fans wanted Jacoby out of town too; and to a lesser extent Trindon Holliday. They've both been significant contributors in getting their team to a Super Bowl and one has a ring.

Mob mentality isn't always wise.
No, it's not but sometimes they're right and I'd say that a portion of "the mob" was even somewhat right about those two. Jacoby took a while to grow up and many people noted that. A lot of people questioned whether Jacoby was up to being that #2 or "2b" that the Texans seemed to hope he would become. His success with the Ravens seemed much about being used properly by the coaching staff than anything else. Our coaching staff wasn't going to do that so we'd have never seen that Jacoby Jones. We waited a long time for him to show up. Never got him.

Getting kicked to the curb seemed to get his attention and helped his focus for a while. Again, we weren't going to see that guy.

Trindon Holiday continued to be as scary for the Broncos as he was here. I'd say their superior special teams coaching (vs. our abysmal "Coach Joe's Special Kids Camp") helped him succeed when he did but again, we weren't going to reap the rewards of that here.

More than that guys like Jacoby Jones and Trindon Holiday come and go all the time. They helped another team that had a lot of other reasons why it was successful in addition to that help. Jerome Mathis was Jacoby Jones. Jermaine Lewis was Trindon Holiday. Both had splashes but disappeared just as quickly. Those guys can be replaced every single draft on the last day.

A lot of us think Matt Schaub needs to go. Most of us do I would hazard to guess. His situation is different from those two guys you mentioned in that he was a long-time starter but the crap that blew up in his face last year has been expected by many for a long time. Maybe nobody expected that specific level and kind of "WTF?" but the things he did poorly were well known to many and he received much criticism for that over the years. A significant part of the fan base was never sold completely on Schaub and last year it came to a head. Maybe he goes on to great success somewhere else but if OB looks at his body of work and says "Nope" then I'm fine with that. For every high I can point to a couple of Matt Schaub lows.

If OB wants to run with Matt for a year I'll be fine with that too. He better produce though. Which way do you think is better to be wrong? Let Matt Schaub go and risk him taking someone to the Super Bowl (Stop laughing!) or keep Matt Schaub and run another year with him expecting to see some success out of him in spite of everything that's happened?

Last edited by Hervoyel; 03-12-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote