View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014   #220
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Texans' Cap space......and the rest of the League

Good discussion TroyChapman.....

On another note & not directed towards anyone in particular, but just to ramble a little bit.

Let's imagine I have a fairly decent player that I want to lock up for a few years, so I decide to offer him a contract. We agree to a 5 year arrangement with a total value of $25M/yr. I could pay him $5M/yr for the next 5 years. Simple, clean, easy.

With a salary cap of $120M, that allows me to sign 24 players at $5M/yr. 22 starters, 2 back up players... not so clean. The rules allow me to have 53 players... not so easy, & your pro-bowl players will want more than $5M/yr... not simple. Last year the salary cap was $126M

In 2010 the Texans decided to make Andre Johnson the highest paid WR in the league at that time. For the seven seasons starting in 2010 and ending with the 2016 season, Andre will earn $73.5M roughly $10.5M/yr.... That's what he gets for being the best.

If we were to have paid Andre what he was worth last season, that would have left us with $115.5M to pay the other 52 players that make up the team.

But we went to FA 3 years back to add one of the better CBs (at that time) to our ball club. Five years $48.7M roughly $9.7M...... leaving $105.8M for the remaining 51 players.

We've got a franchise LT who's signed to a 6 year $53.4M or $8.9M/yr.... leaving $96.9M to sign 50 players. Less than $2M/yr.

We can go down the whole roster, but hopefully you can see it is impossible to pay all your players what they "are worth" on an annual basis. Can't do it on a pay as you go basis, not when you're carrying 3 probowlers/All Pro players on defense, 7 on offense, only one of those 10 is playing on his rookie contract. As opposed to the Colts who had 3, maybe 4 players playing at a pro bowl level, all 4 on rookie contracts.

That's why we are in cap heck. We're paying premium dollars for our "star" players, they are not. Our stars did not perform like stars with the exception of Andre Johnson & Jj Watt, for whatever reason. Their scrubs played like All-Pros.

We've got 8 defensive starters that are either 1st round, 2nd round, or high dollar free agents. Jj Watt, Brian Cushing, Johnathan Joseph, Danieal Manning, Dj Swearinger, Kareem Jackson, Whitney Mercilus, & Brooks Reed. Hopefully RAC can add 3 scrubs to that group & find us a starting line-up.

Offensively, we've got 7 probowlers. Hopefully we can add a 1st & 2nd round pick to the group & get back to a top 10 offense..... even if it's only yards.

SalaryCap heck.