View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014   #217
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Texans' Cap space......and the rest of the League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
No offense taken, salary cap is probably my favorite subject in football. I think you can get Newton's replacement in the 3rd or 4th round....no need to spend the first on a RT. No telling what B. Williams might do as well but I am not confident in him. But you need the depth...and lets be honest Newton has playing time and would be able to step in if needed.
With the new CBA & pay structure for rookies it makes all the sense in the world to take the best OT with the #1 overall. As it stands now, our season is over if we lose Duane Brown. Not the case, if Robinson is the man we think he is.... that's this year, next year, & the year after. Unless of course you get a Peyton Manning or a Russell Wilson, then it's not such a big deal.

& if Newton has to come in the game... honestly, there was not one play where I saw him & say.... "Why can't you keep doing that." or "If you could do that one more time."

Understand, I was pretty high on Newton until he got hurt in Detroit (I think it was Detroit) in 2012.... since then, not so much.

Quote:
As for McCain, you keep him for now into TC. If Means, or Lemon or Harris or one of the younger players beats out McCain...then by all means send him packing. McCain probably has a small roster bonus. Something I am willing to eat in dead money to give him another shot at TC. We have a lot of young players coming off IR probably ready to take down the vets.
I'm cool with that, but we don't have to eat his roster bonus unless he's on the roster when the season starts. There's some dead money in there whether we cut him today or Sept 8th.... so yeah, I don't have a problem carrying him through camp.

Quote:
With the way the QB free agents are playing out...I gotta think Smith is talking to Schaub to get him to take a reduction in pay with some incentives if he wins the starting job. I know the city wants him gone but at this point Schaub is probably the better option for a veteran QB. I would like to see his base salary lowered from $10.5m to say $5m and remove his active game bonus...replace that with statistical goals and playoff appearances.
A big enough reduction is the best way to go imo, we can still free up $10M for 2014 & if we make him a June 1, 2015 cut it's only $3.5M of dead money for 2015 & 2016. IMO it maximizes the dollars available over the next three years.