View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014   #213
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 17471 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' Cap space......and the rest of the League

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Using the calculator at OTC that puts us at $23M under the cap for 2014 & $43M under the cap for 2015 with those moves.

So I'm assuming you're ok with $23M for this year & $43M for next season. But you're going to have to find a replacement for OD & Daniel Manning. Not a big thing for you because you're not looking to win very much in 2014.

If instead, we make Schaub a June 1st cut, cut Derek Newton, & cut Brice McCain that would put us at $20M below the cap for 2014 & $42M under the cap for 2015. I know you can cut McCain & Newton in your scenario as well, but I just wanted to put those numbers side by side..... We can get the money we need for this offseason & making Schaub a June 1st cut doesn't hurt us as bad next year as some of us think.

I can still renegotiate with Joseph, but if you look at our numbers, that hurts as much as taking a June 1st cut on Schaub.

I can still cut OD, or DMan, or both & keep Joseph on track with a contract expiring after the 2015 season.

The cap for 2015 is already going to go up $10M compared to this season. Making Schaub a June 1st cut simply reduces it to $3M for us.... but it's money we never had anyway. The cap then goes up again in 2016, we'll save $19M for cutting Schaub now plus the imaginary $7M that we didn't realize in 2015 (because Schaub was a June 1st 2014 cut) plus another $10M for that league year. $19M+$7M+$10M= $36M untouched dollars that you can offer Jj Watt in a front loaded contract if you want to make him the highest paid defensive player in history.

Nowhere did I say we release Daniels or Manning. I said retain them for the final year of their contract in 2014. My suggestion was only the Schaub release. Renegotiate (not restructure) with Joseph if possible. Everyone else stays.

Not sure what you are trying to say in your reply to me? In your scenario with McCain and Newton you just cut depth that were cheap to pay....still have to find their replacements at probably the same pay with some performance. Newton can stay, won't start, but he can provide depth that has playing time in the event of an injury. Only save about $2 mil by releasing McCain and Newton. Plus Newton is in the final year of his contract. Might as well use them as depth.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote