View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014   #686
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Out of all those options regarding moving Mallett, getting a 2-1 in a talent rich draft seems, to me, to be the best for the Pats. Comp picks start at round 3; they'd get what amounts to a late one if we pull the trigger. Offering Mallett up in case OAK/JAX/CLE/etc. wants him later on won't get them a 2-1 ....
Tk's point (I think) was that the Texans wouldn't have to pony up 2-1. That the Texans have all the leverage. No, they don't. If they really want Mallett, they would have to meet Belichick's price. The Pats don't have to deal Mallett. And I don't see why they would, unless they received at least a high 2nd, such as the Texans, Browns, Raiders, or Jags.

Another option would be trade out of 1-1, and use some of those picks to deal for Mallett. If the Falcons have a pre-draft deal with Rams if Clowney is on the board, wouldn't they also be willing to move up to 1-1? The Texans could take a Jake Matthews at 1-6, deal the Falcons 2nd rounder to New England for Mallett, and still have 2-1. And while Mallett isn't necessarily a statue, he needs good protection. Drafting a very good pass blocking OT would make a lot of sense.