View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014   #5
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
excellent work.
very difficult to balance draft with free agency subtractions & additions.
should Texans take Clowney (once in generation DE) or Brdgewater (best QB in class because Texans need one).
Safest pick is Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews, Sammy Watkins or Khalil Mack.
There is an exceedingly wide gap between strength of class & positional players, OT, OLB & WR's.
Will wait & see to find out how Texans address needs via free agency, you make some great pick-ups & bold predictions on those no longer with team next season, cut ties.
Kellen Clemons could well be they guy now that Cassel resigned with Vikings.
edited this post because it sucked & didn't give you near enough credit. You could be the GM I'll just be happy as one of your scouts.
Thanks for the kind words, sir!

I just don't see Clowney as a generational DE. Mario Williams put up better numbers at the combine and is nearly 30lbs heavier than him. Just last year Zeke Ansah had a 40 time of 4.56(versus 4.53) and was 6'5 271lbs (versus Clowney at 6'5 266). Carlos Dunlap was 6'6 280lbs and ran a 4.57. These are just a few examples of players with similar numbers, there are others.

I think the safest pick is Jake Matthews. He can play all 5 positions on the OL and barring injury should be good for 12-15 years and some probowls. Robinson has the higher ceiling but a lower floor. Watkins is good, but as a WR is hampered by his QB. I am not sure he is an Andre Johnson who is good enough to overcome a poor QB. Mack is ahead of Clowney in my eyes.

With Red Bryant off the table, I still like the idea of the two big boys next to Watt. So how about Solai in the middle and Terrence Cody next to him? Cody has been a bit of a disappointment mainly becuase he did not become a penetrating NT. But, if he was played as a run stopping DE he could be a terrror. Imagine having a 3-4 DL where you have JJ Watt on one side, Paul Solai in the middle, and Terrence Cody on the edge. How successful will your run game be? Now imagine that you decide to go to a 4-3 front and you have Watt and Phillips as the DEs and Solai and Cody as the DTs. It would essentially be the recreation of the fearsome Viking 4-3 DLs with the Williams in the DT spots and JJ Watt playing the role of Jared Allen.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote