View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014   #156
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' Cap space......and the rest of the League

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
& the way you're talking about paying minimum amount & exceeding my limit... that only makes sense (fits this application) if we're paying for players who are no longer here. We aren't.

Every dime we spent in 2013 went to players who are on the roster (IR included).

If we cut Schaub & push the dead money (which is what I want to do) it would be a rare moment in Rick Smiths tenure, if not the first time.

I wanted to extend Antonio Smith last offseason instead of paying him $8M. Convert that salary into a signing bonus & lock him up for the next three years. Back load the contract & cut him with very little cap implication 4 or 5 years from now. That's not "mortgaging the future" if you believe Antonio has 3 good years left.
Let me try to explain it to you this way...

This past week, the week before free agency begins, the Colts signed D'Qwell Jackson and the Jaguars signed Red Byrant. The Texans could not afford either.

Now here is the real kicker, the Colts and the Jaguars, could do similar signings 6 or 7 more times with 5X the money to spend than the Texans, the Texans are still not in this ball game.

2013 Scoreboard: Colts 2, Texans 0; Jaguars 2, Texans 0.

The Colts and Jaguars are getting considerably better in 2014 and the Texans are still maintaining the Status Quo.