View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014   #25
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Quarterback Ball Velocity at NFL Combine 2008-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
I agree with this.

I think it's really simple actually. A guy can put a little extra on the ball in a game when he feels like he needs to.

When a guy is in a game and he sees a window that he needs to squeeze the ball into he puts some extra extra on it.

Now if a guy is jacking up his mechanics so bad that the ball is actually coming out slower, that's something else. That's nerves or something.

But to imply that guys can't put more on the ball when they feel they need to is kind of ridiculous.
I don't think anybody is saying an athlete can't put a little more into something, whether it's throwing a pass, hitting a serve in tennis or sprinting. In these instances the necessary muscles fire with a bit more oomph and the motor control is still there to control tension. Where you get into problems is when you over try and motor control is reduced.

Think of it this way, you have maximum effort and operational effort. If a QBs maximum velocity is 62mph, he's not throwing every pass at 62, even on hard throws or in cases of squeezing the ball into windows, he may be operating at 59-60mph. It's when he tries to throw 65mph that he'll run into the issues I'm talking about.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote