View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014   #13
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Quarterback Ball Velocity at NFL Combine 2008-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Guys with power arms,they just throw,but guys with something to prove probably try to show more arm talent. I used to have this discussion with 76texan about keenum. I've been in camp and stood with pat kirwan and solomon wilcots watching all 3 qb drop back at the same time and throw. It was clear Yates arm was clearly better than the other 2. When they were throwing the out routes to the sideline,Yates ball got there with more velocity and at a quicker rate than keenum and schaub.
I think Yates has the most live arm out of the three, but you can't really go look at one drill and make a determination.

Guys could be focusing on different things in a drill. One guy could be really fresh or just feeling good. One guys arm can be sore from throwing a bunch the previous day. One guy might've gotten some last night and the other guy might've put his pet cat to sleep.

Also the target you're throwing to can affect your velocity. If you're throwing to a slower moving more deliberate target you might put the ball up for them...someone with great hands you might feel more comfortable just zinging it in on them.

Soreness really almost anywhere in the body can effect ball velocity. Especially in a practice setting where your adrenaline isn't flowing.

I'm not denying what you saw, but what you saw may not mean much at all. Not from one drill at one practice.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote