View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014   #43
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brett Smith, QB - Wyoming

Nice in depth piece on the forgotten QB...

2014 NFL Draft: Wyoming QB Brett Smith Sees Beyond the Doubters
Quote:
As a draft analyst, one of the last quarterbacks on my list to scout was Wyoming junior Brett Smith.

Admittedly, I was none too thrilled to be watching film of a Mountain West quarterback with a losing record (17-20) and an omission from the NFL Scouting Combine on his resume. Yet, after a few games of resisting the urge to be incredibly impressed, I could hold my enthusiasm back no longer.

This is the time of year when most days are spent in a dark room watching tape until hundreds of NFL hopefuls have been identified and graded—each trying to not only convince an NFL team they belong, but perhaps subconsciously convince themselves as well.

The truth is, not a single young man out there training his butt off for a shot at the NFL really knows what the NFL is like.

It’s a place where hotshot All-Stars go to be humbled by an entirely new level of competition. It’s an unforgiving league that will weed out the weak faster than a pride of lions on the Serengeti.

So I watched another game of this odd-looking kid, and another. What the tape showed over and over again was a terrific competitor making plays all over the field with his legs, arm and very little help from a supporting cast.

It was as if someone took Johnny Manziel, put him on a team of castoffs, stretched him vertically and harnessed his manic playing style into a more controlled, steady burn. In his three years at Wyoming, Smith rushed for 1,529 yards and 20 touchdowns while throwing 76 touchdowns and 28 interceptions.

Keep in mind any Manziel comparison coming his way speaks more to his unique mobility and affinity for ad-libbing than anything else. Aside from that, it kept getting better.

One of the more impressive things about Smith’s makeup was his incredibly consistent..
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote