View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014   #35
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Austin Jenkins TE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Depends on what you want out of your offense. If you want an all out passing attack like the Saints then yes it's not important. You can just use the guy like a slot WR.

If you want to be multiple like I do then it's pretty important. If O'Brien is going to use the same offensive philosophy he learned with the Patriots (which we have no way of knowing for sure yet) then he will value guys who are scheme diverse and can do multiple things. A TE that can block and catch has to be accounted for in the running game and passing game, where as a TE who can't only has to be accounted for in the passing game.

The more multiple you are on offense, the simpler the defense has to make their scheme, thus making it easier for you to take advantage of matchups.
I completely agree with you in terms of being scheme diverse but i think you can still do that with receiving TEs over having one or two that are good blockers.
Defences will still need to respect the pass thus removing one player from playing the run.

Also infantrycak explains a good point that i left out, which is teaching these kids to block up to an average level isn't to difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That's fine but blocking for TEs like pass protection for RBs is something which is often virtually disregarded in college and which can be improved greatly in the NFL. There is no need to view TEs coming out of college as finished products on blocking. (And no need to keep reading their college reviews ten years later and repeating they aren't go blockers when they have improved greatly, but that's another matter).
I guess its a matter of opinion but i would rather get the prospect with the better receiving skills than blocking skills at TE. (to sum it up quickly)
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote