Thread: Manziel
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014   #2623
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well put me down as thinking y'all in the Wilson is mediocre camp are dramatically underselling him. And I think your conjecture is totally wrong. There may be some teams who view Wilson as you do but I think the odds they all do and none would trade a top 10 pick for him are zilch. I think there is a 75% chance the Texans would trade 1.1 for him happily.

Wilson by the way has 8 4th quarter comebacks and 10 game winning drives in the past two seasons. He is not just riding a D.
Mediocre compared to the other QBs in the NFL as a whole, maybe. I don't think he's a top 10 QB, and I think he's more in the 11-15 range overall. That's slightly above average in a 32 QB league, so I guess you could call that mediocre. He was taken in the 3rd, so for what he is, that seems like a great value. I said he's worth about a late 1st to an early 2nd, which is certainly more than I would value guys like Alex Smith, Matt Schaub (even before 2013), Andy Dalton and Ryan Tannehill. There are currently only about 7-8 QBs I would pay 1.1 for.

Wilson is very conservative in the way he plays the game and makes decisions, and his ceiling doesn't seem that high to me. He's nowhere close to the elite QBs, but he's definitely better than the other game manager types currently out there. I don't see him putting the team on his back and taking them to the promised land. He can be an important cog in the machine, but he's not the primary reason they are winning games.

To add to that, the 10 GW drives and 4th quarter comebacks is just a stat. It doesn't tell the whole story, and any Texans fan who watched the Seattle game this year should know it wasn't Wilson winning that game for them. Who made the game tying TD to send it to OT? How many drives did the Seahawks have before they scored a FG to win the game?

Another one of the games you cite was the infamous "Simultaneous Catch" game against Green Bay. Several of those other games were Lynch TDs and Hauschka FGs. 2 of the games he didn't even have a TD, but he was the QB so he gets the credit. Details like that get overlooked when simply looking at stat lines.