View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014   #583
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Dude, but what the heck is there to like about Ryan Mallet that makes him worth a 2nd round pick in a trade? I'm willing to bet that more backup QBs have fallen on their faces than carried their team to greatness. I'm talking since the inception of the NFL here, too, and not just cherry picking a few here and there.

I haven't heard a single righteous answer except for a small OB connection and he's a part of the Hoody Tribe. To me the guy is Jimmy Clausen, except without the snaps.
OK, putting aside the wisdom of trades generally and onto Mallett...

I think Mallett had 1st round talent but dropped in the draft due to (a) some immaturity issues such as a PI and recreational drug use and (b) the coaching change at Michigan. I don't view size as critical but he is as prototypical as you can get. He has demonstrated excellent study of the game and ability to explain the responsibilities, reads, route concepts, etc. better than most. He has a cannon for an arm. He was both prolific and careful with the football. He spread the ball rather than relying on a star receiver. He came from a pro style offense in the SEC. I put no significance to OB's familiarity other than him having more basis for an opinion. I am also not just trying to find someone from New England as I don't want Cassell. I do think being behind Brady, in a winning program and recipient of above average coaching will have benefitted him. I do think Belichick finding him to be the best QB in the 2011 draft and liking him enough to use the highest pick he has ever used on a QB in either Cleveland or New England weighs in his favor.

So that's my reasoning on Mallett without running down QBs who may be available at 2.1. Not trying to persuade you but you asked why I liked him.

Last edited by infantrycak; 02-25-2014 at 03:55 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote