View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bob McGinn on 2014 NFL

The next 32
Quote:
Mike Evans*, WR, Texas A&M: 6-5, 231. Redshirt sophomore. "He's safer than Benjamin," one scout said. "He's just a big, strong guy. You just throw it up to him and he'll make plays. He's a big dude that plays big." Ad-libbed a lot with Manziel. Caught 151 passes in two seasons. "Little stiff," another scout said. "He's dropped some balls." Arms measured a long, long 351/8 inches.

Odell Beckham*, WR, Louisiana State: 5-11, 198. Third-year junior. "He's not fast like Lee or Watkins but he's fast enough," said one scout. "He's a great route runner, hands, body control. He's got the return stuff that brings value, too. He's pretty damn good." Caught more than 40 passes all three seasons. "He goes 20 to 32," another scout said. "Excellent hands and very good route runner. Average size. Very productive. Is going to play early in his career."

Allen Robinson*, WR, Penn State: 6-2, 220. Third-year junior. "He can get in the bottom of the first (round)," one scout said. "He's just a natural receiver. Strong. Catches the ball. Knows how to play. He's not as spectacular as the other (top) guys but he's real solid." Two-year starter with 177 receptions. "Not polished as a route runner," a second scout said. "Very good hands. Should be a starter in a short amount of time."

Brandin Cooks*, WR, Oregon State: 5-10, 189. Third-year junior. "He's quicker than fast," one scout said. "Little guy with tons of production. But he's not DeSean Jackson, not a special guy in terms of blowing the top off (the defense). He's not a big-play guy." Had 128 catches in 2013 and 226 in all. "He goes 20 to 32," another scout said. "Very fast and explosive."

Davante Adams*, WR, Fresno State: 6-1, 212. Redshirt sophomore. "I'd have a hard time taking him in the first," one scout said. "He's a really good catcher and really athletic, but he's not a speed guy." Teamed with QB Derek Carr, he had 102 receptions in 2012 and 131 in '13. "Will need to develop his game in a more pro-style offense," another scout said. "Good hands. Mid-second-rounder. Should develop into a starter."

Martavis Bryant*, WR, Clemson: 6-4, 211. Junior played second fiddle behind Watkins at Clemson this year and both Watkins and DeAndre Hopkins in '12. "He's got talent," one scout said. "He's had some drops and he's a little bit of a knucklehead, but he can make all the catches. He's a build-to-speed guy. Would I draft him in the first round? No. Does he have first-round talent? Pretty close." Just 61 receptions for 1,354 yards (22.2) and 13 TDs. "If he blows it out at the combine, somebody might take a (first-round) flier on him," another scout said.

Jarvis Landry*, WR, Louisiana State: 5-11, 205. His 40-yard dash time Sunday will go a long way to determine his draft fate. "He's such a good receiver, but there's so many fast guys in this draft that he'll get pushed down if he runs slow, which he may," one scout said. "He's a lot like Beckham. Excellent hands. Very good routes. Not as fast as Beckham, not nearly the playmaker, but a very polished receiver."

Jace Amaro*, TE, Texas Tech: 6-51/2, 265. Third-year junior. "On 99% of the snaps he lines up in the slot," one scout said. "He makes a killing doing that. (Jermichael) Finley is a faster down-the-field guy. This guy is an underneath guy, like the way the Cowboys use (Jason) Witten. He just turns around and he's so damn big they just throw him the ball and he can catch it." Exploded for 106 catches in 2013 after having just 32 in his first two seasons. "He should be better than he is," another scout said. "He's got excellent hands but he doesn't run after the catch. He's a stalk blocker." Led TEs on the bench press with 28 reps.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins*, TE, Washington: 6-5, 262. Third-year junior. "He's going to be close to Gronkowski talent-wise," one scout said. "Now he's lazy and a (expletive). It's all kinds of just minor stuff. There's always something wrong with him." Had 146 receptions in three seasons. Played some basketball for Huskies. "I think he's a pretender," another scout said. "Not really a football player. The hype is big, but he don't want to block and he is kind of half-(expletive) in everything he does. Inconsistent and unreliable."

Zack Martin, T-G, Notre Dame: 6-4, 308. Started 50 games at LT and two at RT. "I love him," one scout said. "He's not real big. All I know is he's got a great jam. He can punch the hell out of you. Nobody beats him. He's just not a real bulky guy. Everybody keeps wanting to move him inside. You better have somebody that can block those outside pass rushers." Scored 21 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. "He's the guard that I like," another scout said. "He's athletic and strong. He understands the game." Arms were only 327/8, hands just 9.

Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State: 6-3, 336. Often compared to Lions RG Larry Warford, a third-round pick from Kentucky in '13 who had a strong rookie season. "He's big, in the Warford class," one scout said. "He moves better than Warford. He has second-round ability. My issue is if he can pass block." Experienced road grader. Ran just 5.51. "He's big and he plays big," another scout said. "If you're in his area, he's going to dominate you. Obviously, the speed and the range will never be his strength. But if you use him for what he does (best), he's pretty good."

Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State: 6-2, 214. Broke all kinds of records in a spread offense. "Threw the ball 50, 60 times a game," one scout said. "Put up a ton of yards but has average size. He can start, no question. I thought he played well in the Senior Bowl." Career completion mark of 66.6%. Older brother David was top pick in 2002 draft by Houston and coach Dom Capers. "I don't trust him," said another scout. "In that system and against bad teams he can light it up. He's almost similar to his brother, where when things aren't going his way he just kind of folds." Wonderlic of 20.

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois: 6-2, 226. Four-year player at the same lower-level school that spawned Tony Romo. "He's an interesting cat," one scout said. "Gets the ball out very well. He's sort of like Carr. He doesn't have the same arm but he's got great feet, a quick release and he's accurate. He played with some very pedestrian football players." Played well in the East-West Shrine Game and Senior Bowl. "This guy has everything you're looking for," said another scout. "(A.J.) McCarron isn't even comparable." Wonderlic of 24.

Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State: 5-11, 230. Production improved each year during five years in Columbus. "He could be late first (round)," one scout said. "It's just if he clears through the personal stuff, the off-field. Because he's a big dude and he runs big. He's just a power back." Wonderlic score was merely 9. "I don't know if that makes a difference at running back," another scout said, referring to the Wonderlic. "Good player. Just the stuff they tell you about him, you worry about his work ethic. He had some stuff off the field."

Tre Mason*, RB, Auburn: 5-8, 207. Catapulted into prominence in 2013 with 317 carries for 1,816 yards (5.7) and 23 TDs. "Had probably the best games of his career in the last two or three," one scout said. "Speed is not great but good enough. Good vision. Doesn't wear down." Has a reputation for fumbling. Just 19 receptions. "He maximized all the talent he's got," another scout said. "He runs hard. Gives you everything he's got. Not going to look good at the combine as far as the 40, height and all that. But the guy knows how to run and is productive."

Jeremy Hill*, RB, Louisiana State: 6-1, 233. Third-year sophomore. "I see him as the first back to go," one scout said. "He's talented. Can catch the ball, run the ball. He can stay on the field all three downs. He's just got a few off-the-field issues." Has been arrested twice for unrelated incidents. "I don't like his makeup," another scout said. "I don't like the way he runs. He's soft for a big guy. Some people say he's strong. He's not at all. He's got athletic talent and he's big but he's a soft runner."

Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota: 6-6, 310. Fifth-year senior. "He's unique," one scout said. "He's big and long, and when he wants to play he can play. He has an unusual ability of batting balls down. He does play (high). He does a lot of things you don't like. But when he doesn't want to be shoved, around they can't shove him." Wonderlic of 13. Regarded as somewhat hard to coach. "For the one or two plays a game he plays good, he's a first-rounder," another scout said. "For the other 30 when he's out of the game, or the other 20 when he doesn't do anything, then he's a free agent. It all depends how you value the kid."

Kony Ealy*, DE, Missouri: 6-4, 273. Fourth-year junior. "He really came on," one scout said. "Late first or early second. Got really good size. Can play in multiple schemes. He can be an outside backer or a DE." Scouts say he sucked up the double-teams away from fellow DE Michael Sam, who had 11 sacks. "He's big, fast, strong," another scout said. "Got a lot of up side. He's not Justin Tuck."

Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh: 6-0, 285. Undersized three-technique in a 4-3 scheme. "He was the most valuable player in the Senior Bowl, not Dee Ford," one scout said. "He's a good player if you can get by with his size. He reminds me of the guy from Iowa who plays for the Falcons (DT Jonathan Babineaux)." Also regarded as a better prospect than Green Bay DT Mike Daniels, another ex-Hawkeye. "He's productive as hell," one scout said. "He'll get his (expletive) kicked for 10 straight plays and then he'll make a sack. It's the damndest thing. But down in and down out, playing the run, it's going to be hard."

Dee Ford, DE-OLB, Auburn: 6-2, 252. Fifth-year senior. MVP of the Senior Bowl with multiple sacks and pressures. "Second round," one scout said. "He'd be best as a 3-4 outside backer. He does get a lot of offsides penalties but then he got a lot of sacks that way, too. He's got really good timing on that. I don't think he'll be a great rusher but I think he'll be pretty solid. Everybody needs rushers." Not all scouts think he's athletic enough to stand up. "Just a little guy that's not a special pass rusher," another scout said.

Timmy Jernigan*, DT, Florida State: 6-2, 299. Third-year junior. "Late first, early second," said one scout. "Very strong inside player. Short but very strong." Probably best as a cocked nose tackle or three-technique in a 4-3. "Those little guys get swallowed up and haven't been very effective," another scout said.

Trent Murphy, DE-OLB, Stanford: 6-5, 250. Fifth-year senior with meat hooks for hands (111/8). "Little bit of an enigma for me," one scout said. "He's got all that stat production, but when you watch him, he's not really tough or strong. I don't know where to play him. 3-4 backer probably is the best fit, but I don't think he's that great of an athlete. He's not really a true edge guy."

Demarcus Lawrence*, DE-OLB, Boise State: 6-3, 251. Fourth-year junior. "He can fit anywhere," one scout said. "He's athletic enough to play outside linebacker. He's long enough to play an edge 4-3 rusher like Seattle uses. Worker. Good athlete. Second round." Was suspended three times for team violations.

Ryan Shazier*, LB, Ohio State: 6-1, 237. Third-year junior. "He can really run," one scout said. "I don't think he's as tough as (Tampa Bay's) Lavonte David, but he's faster. He runs like a deer. You'd have to think about him over Mosley." Should be taken in the first round. "He's little but, damn, he's the most explosive guy on the field," another scout said. "He goes in the 20s."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote