View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014   #266
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jake Matthews now #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i could probably put this in another thread, but a great example is here. i have a question for the draft guys because i'd really like to learn and better understand the process ... why do guys rise and fall? through much of the season and after the season, jake matthews was the #1 tackle and as the topic reads was the top overall prospect. a couple months after the season his stock has dropped a bit, even to where he's probably not best fit at tackle anymore. at the same time greg robinson is shooting up the boards. what happened after the games were played?

i change my mind by the second, if i can even get off the fence long enough to form a solid opinion - so i get the fluidity. i'm curious though what goes into the thought process of those who are giving this their full attention. is there more access to games? is it a better digestion of the tape? is it someone's opinion that catches fire and spreads?

what goes into the ups and downs for the people who do this for a hobby or even a living?
Matthews has been a high visibility prospect awhile & for good reason. He fits in a zone blocking scheme best where linemen are required to move in space. His measureable arm length combined with lower reps suggest he relies on being a technician. He is versatile, can fill several needs along the line in that system.

Robinson is more your prototypical LT with huge wingspan, lower body & torso strength who is nearly as fluid enough, but not a technician but shows willingness & understanding needed to keep improving. By time all is said & done I feel comfortable in saying he'll be NFL All-Pro tackle half a dozen times in his career before all is said & done.

As to why they move as much as they do when nothing really is happening is because there is so much football played prospects get lost in shuffle often times or play for smaller, lesser known schools. I follow year round to keep up but fall short simply because of time constraints & player access. Now we get to know them better, up close & personal.

This is also first time for coaches & staffs to spend time reviewing game tape to grade performance, verify & make corrections (need list). They are so busy playing catch-up with College game getting updated via scouting department & getting together for meetings, free agent meetings, post combine meetings, pro day meetings then their big board is constructed, prospects settled with final workouts & interviews.

That is my long winded version.

Short version as to why prospects rise & fall is naked exposure to medical concerns, verified size/weights etc, character/interview & background checks from former players/coaches to family & friends. Not to mention chemistry once you get to know a player better.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote