View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014   #94
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis February 19-24, 2014

Justin Gilbert, Dri Archer head race to be combine's fastest man
Quote:
In the NFL, speed matters. So it's little wonder that the 40-yard dash is annually one of the most hotly anticipated drills at the NFL Scouting Combine. Running a blistering time is one of the quickest ways for a prospect to build buzz, especially if he can nab the title of combine's fastest. Think of how receiver Marquise Goodwin turned heads in 2013 after he posted a 4.27-second 40 -- the best time in five years.

Who will go down as the fastest player in Indianapolis this year? Here's a list of five candidates with a great shot:
Bucky Brooks: 10 players with big questions to answer at combine
Quote:
The NFL Scouting Combine is viewed as a glorified track meet by some observers, but scouts and coaches view the event as a four-day job interview. Personnel men will bombard top prospects with a variety of questions to assess their background profile and football character heading into the NFL. Although these interviews are cross-referenced with discussions with former coaches, administrators and teammates, the 15- to 30-minute conversations play a significant role on the final evaluations.

Given the importance of the interview process, I thought I would put on my scout's hat and come up with a pressing question for 10 of the most intriguing prospects in the draft. While I don't know how each player will respond, I can give you an idea of how teams will approach the interview process in Indianapolis to get to the answers needed to make solid assessments going forward.

Without further ado, here's what these players can expect to hear in meeting rooms at the combine:

1. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
Question: Do you love football?

Answer I would like to hear...

2. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
Question: Do you want to be a star or a champion?

Answer I would like to hear...

3. Marqise Lee, WR, USC
Question: Why did your production slip dramatically in 2013?
4. Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
Question: How will you adjust to the increased competition in the NFL?
5. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
Question: What makes you the best cover corner in the 2014?
6. Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
Question: What is your best defensive position?
7. Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State
Question: Did your added weight negatively affect your game in 2013?
8. Michael Sam, DE, Missouri
Question: Are you comfortable moving to OLB as a pro?
9. Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida
Question: What kept you from playing to your potential this season?
10. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
Question: Do you have any concerns about taking punishment at your current size?

2014 NFL Scouting Combine preview
Dan Kadar
Quote:
The 2014 NFL Scouting Combine begins on Thursday, with media sessions running through Sunday and workouts going until Tuesday. Deride the combine all you want; it is sort of strange. But the event carries a considerable amount of weight for teams.

Most importantly, teams can perform medical evaluations (the original intention of the combine), get official sizes for underclassmen entrants and interview players. Those are the most important things for teams at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

The TV glitz and glamor events – drills and press conferences – will overtake football media over the next several days. Here are the key storylines to follow at this year's combine...

2014 NFL Combine: 10 prospects with the most to gain/lose
Dane Brugler
Quote:
Stop me if you've heard this before, but the Combine is just one piece to the overall puzzle that is the NFL Draft process. But it's an extremely important piece and far more than just 40-yard dash times.

From the medical evaluation to the team interviews and all the on-field drills, the NFL Combine puts the top prospects under the same microscope. Indianapolis becomes NFL headquarters for a week and NFL hopefuls are put through an intense ringer that is a 24/7 job interview. Lives will change at the NFL Combine, some positively and others negatively. Of the 331 prospects invited to the NFL Combine last year, 32 went in the first round (10.3%) and 109 went undrafted (32.9%).

Fact is, this list could include all 300+ names because each prospect has something to gain or lose at the NFL Combine, but these 10 stand out as prospects who could make or lose substantial money in Indianapolis this week.

10. TE Colt Lyerla, Ex-Oregon
9. WR Martavis Bryant, Clemson
8. CB Bradley Roby, Ohio State
7. TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
6. Notre Dame DL: Louis Nix, Stephon Tuitt
5. CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State
4. Physical marvels: OT Greg Robinson, DE Jadeveon Clowney
3. DT Dominique Easley, Florida
2. WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
1. All 19 Quarterbacks
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Quote:
Derek Carr deemed @SeniorBowl prep more important, and will throw at Fresno St.’s Pro Day. With positive SB reviews, no need to deviate.

#Fresno St. QB Derek Carr will not throw at @NFL Scouting Combine, per source. He will do other drills. Carr will throw at Fresno’s Pro Day

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-19-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote