View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014   #1682
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not arguing with you, just providing detail.

The federal voting age was reduced from 21 to 18 in 1971. Most states tied age of majority, drinking and voting loosely together. Drunk driving was already on the rise and continued to do so dramatically across the board up to about 50 years old with the worst category being late twenties. MADD wanted outright bans or lowered thresholds but couldn't sell them for the most part and settled for nibbling at the fringes where they could muster the votes.

These were not the purview of 18-21 year olds.

They belonged primarily to the parents of the 18 year olds affected by the 1984 national minimum age change.
I know you're not arguing and I was feeling lazy and knew you would follow up with factual research. That's what you do and you're pretty good at it. I lived through this period and remember it fairly well. The state I was living in, legal drinking at 18 went into effect only months after I had turned 21.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote