View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014   #47
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL 1st First Round Mock Draft of 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Cassel would not be the STARTER, but would compete with the other two who are left. If he wins the job, so be it.

If Cassel wins the starter spot .... You are in trouble and will likely be picking very high again next season. Yeah , I know everyone is hyped over next years possible QB choices but , we were hyped about this years until recently .... but that means throwing away another year with a scrub QB.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind bringing Schaub back as the veteran at near the veteran minimum, but we need to get his future cap issue resolved and this is best done by cutting him and resigning him. I think he is much better than he showed last year, but he needs an improved OL.
I wouldn't mind him being brought back as a backup / mentor to a young guy but that's about it. That line was bad ..... but it wasn't the cause of Schaub's issues , that had more to do with his body breaking down than anything else. He couldn't plant to throw and couldn't evade .... a pop warner defense. Top that off with making poor decisions and what we saw was what we got.

He is .... no longer a starter in this league.
Quote:
Duane Brown LT
Chris Meyer C
Derek Newton RT
Jon Weeks LS
Brandon Brooks G
Ben Jones C
Brennan Williams RT
Cody White G
Alex Kupper G
David Quessenberry LT

These are under contract.

Wade Smith RG FA
Ryan Harris OT FA

White and Kupper were the last men on a team struggling at protection. I wouldn't make long term plans if I were them.

Newton might go due to a combination of on field and cap considerations.

D Brown and J Weeks seem secure and C Meyers probably is as well.

Doubt Wade Smith or Ryan Harris return.

It will be interesting to see if this group impresses the staff enough to avoid help in the draft or if they will upgrade. I'd really like to know how the IR players (Williams and Quessenberry) from last year are doing right now. Suggestions are all over the board and it's hard to tell what's spin (a palatable lie and not to be confused with mere perspective) and what is the truth.
I could see Kupper , White & Newton gone , two of the three are highly likely to be gone. Could see Newton retained as depth as he makes very little and does have NFL ability .... just doesn't play like it all that often.

Doubt Ryan Harris is brought back unless its for a vet min deal.

Wade Smith was very poor last year , is he washed up or was he hurt ? Hard to see him coming back unless its at a significant discount. Probably time to move on.

Brennan Williams , I wouldn't count on ever playing a down. I'd cover my losses .... if he makes a liar outa me .... good for him and for the team.

Brown , Myers & Brooks have the makings of a solid OL. Jones sticks because he can play multiple positions. Quessenberry is a guard who can play tackle in a pinch , maybe he takes over that LG spot .... but Im not counting on him at any tackle position.

Brown starts at LT
Myers starts at C
Brooks at RG
Jones backs up at both G spots and C.
Quessenberry could be the starter at LG or just further depth.
RT is a black hole.

That leaves 4-5 OL roster spots up for grabs with a definite need at RT under the best conditions.

No to any of the following starting at QB for the Texans next year - Schaub , Keenum , Any of the FA QB's. Give me one of Manziel or Bridgewater. You likely get one of them even if you move back to #4.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote