View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014   #133
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Hoyer/Ryan Mallet ?

I think people are over-valuing Ryan Mallet's trade value. I don't think it would require 2-1 to get him. I think 3-1 would be enough, due to the deep QB class. Think about it from the Pats' standpoint. Whatever pick you give them, they are going to need to draft another backup QB, and this is the year to do it. The have 7 picks, and will likely spend one on a new backup QB, who will be heir apparent to Tom Brady, given the 4 year deal a rookie gets.

Now, if I'm the GM of the Pats, I'd say, let's find our next QB in this draft or next, because in 3-4 years, Brady will retire. Is Mallet the guy? Probably not, so if you can get 3-1 or 4-1 for him, do it. He's going to walk next season, and only give you a compensatory pick at best, and only if you don't sign some good free agents. Sell him while you can for at least 4-1, which is certainly better than the potential compensatory pick you get in return, and find a backup to start training. Maybe the Pats go QB in the 1st, and trade up to take a guy like Teddy or Bortles if they fall. Maybe they take a Murray, McCarron or Garapolo in the end of the 2nd. Who knows, but I know they have to be looking at QB very closely this year next.

If I'm the Pats, I'd take 3-1 for Mallet and not look back. 4-1 would be acceptable, but only on draft day, and only if no one else is biting. 2-1, absolutely, but only a fool would pay that much for him. If I'm the Texans, giving up 4-1 for Mallet would be fine, he's better than anything you will find at that point in this draft. 3-1 is a bit more difficult to say, but probably reasonable.