View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014   #131
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What should the Texans do with their number one pick?

My view is this: O'Brien & Co. must solve the QB problem and it's 100% certainty the new regime will bring in their new QB('s) through FA and/or draft. Typically they draft their guy early in the first year.

So going into this draft, with 1:1, they're #1 focus has to be "is there a franchise QB for THIS team in this draft and who is he?" I don't care if Clowney is the second coming of Kearse, if Bridgewater/Bortles/Manziel is determined to be a QB they feel very confident will take over this team and get us to multiple AFC Championships and Super Bowls, they MUST take him at 1:1 and never question that decision. You DO NOT get fancy and trade down thinking you might could still get him.

Second, us fans may see these top 3 QBs all ranked fairly similarly. But trust me, O'Brien does not. He may not like any of them, he may like 2, he may LOVE 1. And if there is that 1, we have to take him whoever he is.

If it were up to me, and we determined none of the top 3 QBs would fit my needs as a QB and would not be the franchise guy- then I don't select them period and I look at Taking the risk on Clowney or trading down. I would look at Clowney or Mack in that case or Barr and see "who would be the best defender for MY defense."

For me it's Bridgewater right now still. I think Bortles has a legitimate chance but I want to be careful because what gets me more excited about him is his prototypical size. That's very dangerous to push him ahead because of size alone. I think he'd need to develop behind a veteran, but if that's what OB wants I'm on board. I prefer Bridgewater, I just feel like he's pro ready day 1 and has the intelligence to succeed. Granted I'm not saying Bortles/Manziel do not... I just feel much better about Teddy. I love Manziel but do not want us taking him. I just don't have a good gut feeling at all about his long term success in this league.

Clowney is tempting but I worry about his motor and drive/passion. He says he wants to be #1 pick does not impress me. If he were to say I wanna be #1 defender in league, I want to play next to Watt, I want to dominate the NfL... I would feel better. He's saying he's going to put up insane numbers at the combine and he wants to be the first pick. Woopty freaking Doo. BUT, if he passes the interviews and the coaches feel really really good about him AND they do not love any QBs, I would be good with Clowney. I do worry about him and Watt from a salary cap point in a few years. Watts gonna get paid insanely. Then just a few short years later Clowney will want to get paid (assuming he pans out) and we won't be able to afford both. That gives us 4 years maybe 5 with both of them.... But who's our QB? Draft one next year? Free Agent pans out? Mid rounder from this year works?? If it's not till next year or 2 that limits our Super Bowl chances with out 1:1 pick Clowney to like 3 years till he's gone. Maybe I'm just thinking too much about that.

At the end of the day I think it will be Bridgewater or Bortles at 1:1, O'Brien will love one of them. My bet is Bridgewater wows them in interviews and they select him and I'll be pleased.

#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote