Thread: Ideal Scenarios
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014   #140
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ideal Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Not picking on you 19, just quoting this because I saw it mentioned in this thread. This is something I've seen a lot of talk about around here. I really hate this thought process.

This is why you don't wait:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...y-2-more-years

You never know what will be there. There's no way to project what next year's QB class will look like. Last year everybody was saying that the 2014 QB class was going to be awesome. Now there is no franchise QB.

If you don't like any QBs this year then obviously you pass on them. But if you like a guy, you don't pass just because there may be something better a year later.
I agree with you to a large degree. It's folly to target a particular QB in a future draft. But it's also folly to obsess on taking a QB to the detriment of addressing the overall needs of the team.

For those of us who are considering the advantages of trading down, the point is made that there is no Luck in this years draft and the three top rated QB's all have question marks. Looking toward 2015 as a year to draft a QB is simply an ace in the hole. Most trade down scenarios have the Texans taking a QB in the second or third round and also signing a veteran FA; and then having Keenum and these two compete for the starting spot.

My concern is that by various reports, our current defensive personnel doesn't match up well with Crennel's 2-gap 34 defense, forcing him into a "hybrid" defensive scheme. So while there is talk that the team doesn't need major rebuilding to get us back on track to the playoffs, this may not actually be the case for our defense. Again, last night, there was talk on the radio of the lack of talent level of our current defensive personnel and which players might be retained and which might be let go. Drafting a QB 1-1 likely puts us on a two or three year defensive rebuilding track. Of course I recognize that we could get lucky with some lower draft picks, speeding up the rebuilding.

But using the inherent value of the 1-1 and the 2-1 picks makes a lot of sense if OB decides he doesn't need that QB with the first pick.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote