View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014   #264
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: SuperBowl ... Who you got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Well, technically he was 5 pts behind with a mere 55:21 left on the clock before he saw the ball again, but still...

Words cannot express how happy I was to see a team just line up and play ball and ignore all that flapping and pointing and other crap Manning does to "outsmart" the defense.
Yaaay for the team that played old skool football!!

I heard an interview with ESPN's Linda Cohn on 610 radio (I think it was 610) during the week before the Game. She said she didn't even have Peyton in her top 6 or 7. She explains why here. Bottom line, she has more respect for QBs that make plays and "do more with less".

When I thought about it, Peyton has had pro-bowl quality weapons at his disposal his entire career going all the way back to Marshall Faulk and Marvin Harrison during his rookie year up to Wes Welker, Julius Thomas, Demaryius Thomas, and Knowshon Moreno this year. Sixteen years and always surrounded by first-rate talent at the " skilled positions".
If Peyton's the GoaT, and have always had the weapons, and has always run the same offense, then why just the one ring?
One statistic I heard before the Broncos/Patriots game was that Brady has had 8 pro bowlers on his teams for his career, while Manning has had 28 pro bowlers on his teams.

Mix that overwhelming amount of talent with the fact that he now holds the record as a QB with the most post-season losses in NFL history (12), and I just don't see the case being made for him unless it's only a debate built on passing/scoring statistics alone.

8 times he's been one and done in the playoffs, too. That's another dubious record, too, iirc.

I'm not trying to tear Manning down. I've got mad respect for his skills and career. But, we are talking G.O.A.T., so big picture analysis has to include everything, warts and all.