View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014   #237
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: SuperBowl ... Who you got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
You can still be one of "the greatest to ever do it" and fall in the top ten.

I'm sorry, Payton's legacy was killed in that game. His body language, his facial expressions on the sideline, his performance in the game, and his ovrl performance in postseason play... His legacy took a hit. He firmly cemented himself behind the likes of Brady, because I highly doubt a Brady led team would've got their asses kicked the way Payton's team did last night. Payton will go down as a all time great (that's a given), especially in the regular season.. he just won't be remembered as "the greatest to ever do it".. and that's where his legacy took a hit, because that's what he was playing for last night. You simply can't ignore his postseason performances... not after that ass kicking and after the other lame ducks he's put up in other playoff games.
His legacy will take a hit with those who already really don't like him..that's fine..Me personally though, I've long discounted the "must win multiple SB's/championships to be considered the greatest" argument simply b/c people are too biased and usually don't take everything into consideration. Brady is considered better than Manning largely b/c he has more SB rings but then those same folks discount a guy like Bradshaw b/c he had 1 of the greatest defenses backing him....but then will elevate a guy like Dan Marino over say John Elway b/c of some other made up personal nonsense. There's just too much that goes into winning SB's let alone multiple ones.

Based on what the guy has done his whole career regardless of the circumstances, he's the greatest to ever do it in my eyes. No 1 qb has ever brought more to the game....imo of course.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote