View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014   #221
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: SuperBowl ... Who you got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It was a bad performance, but I'd qualify this in two ways.

(1) His O-line was terrible. It looked a LOT like the Texans O-line we suffered with all season. (There were times I almost thought we WERE watching the Texans O-line.) Peyton rarely had enough time in the pocket to make plays. (Yes, a large portion of that goes in the form of props to the Seattle D, but I think even absent that, the Broncos' O-line was simply putrid, and it's hard for ANY QB to look good under such constant harassment.)

(2) The term "choke" (to me) implies that bad play in the clutch helped turn what should (or could) have been a win into a loss, especially in the fourth quarter. The Broncos were so thoroughly outplayed in all aspects of the game for just about all 60 minutes that I don't even think a good performance from Peyton, given the defense he was up against, would have made a difference in the outcome of the game (apart from perhaps making it closer).

In reality, Tom Brady, as much as I hate everything about the Brady-Belichick Patriots, is probably grinning. After Manning beat Brady in the AFC Championship and Denver won pretty convincingly over the Pats (noting that NE is a mediocre road team at best), some thought Manning' legacy may have taken baby steps toward Brady's, especially if he won this Super Bowl. Well, that talk should be over in terms of post-season performance. I've seen Brady lose playoff games. I've seen Brady lose Super Bowls. I've seen Brady at less than his best in those games. But I've never seen Brady unleash a toxic stinkbomb in a postseason game, let alone a Super Bowl, that was anywhere near this stench-ridden.
you're forgetting that 35-7 stinkbomb Brady & the pats laid in 2009 against the Ravens in the playoffs...but in general i agree with most of what you're saying here. The Broncos were so thoroughly outplayed & outcoached, Manning would've had to have benn perfect for them to even have a shot to win. Apart from that, Brady shouldn't be grinning about anything b/c nearly the exact same thing happened to him in 2007. The only difference here is that at least half of his team showed up to at least give him a chance.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote