View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014   #107
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O’Brien Explains What Type Of Quarterback He Wants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf View Post
I'm with you on this big time. Build the trenches up. Even if that means you're only competitive. Everyone will be aware of the fact that you're simply a QB away from being dominant. That will mean going 6-10 to 8-8 maybe even 9-7 with very close losses even against the dominant/elite teams, perhaps even sprinkling in an upset here or there. If and when you do land a stud or very good QB, you're ready to tango with the best of them.

Look back at the now powerhouse teams that earlier in the 2000s had pretty good defenses along with impressive O-lines. They were competitive. Insert a Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco....instant contenders. Fast forward to recent years, insert Wilson into a very Steelers/Ravensish type situation and look what you have. 49ers and most recently the Chiefs, it seemed, were primed with stacked talent and only a competent coach away from becoming a contender.

You then have times where you nab/acquire a QB that is so good he makes up for areas that are seriously lacking, ala Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck....but this example is more like hitting the lottery so it's best to build the team and especially the trenches that yield better chances of becoming dominant by landing a very good but not great QB to compliment the overall team.
while I agree with building trenches, if you don't take QB when he is there you don't know when you will land another. Same with my wanting JuWaun James second day but if I wait until 3rd and he goes late second....depends on the risks you are willing to take.

Also, if you wait until 2015 to get QB, you still could miss unless 1-3. Winston is hot now but will he be next season? Will he return to school?