View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014   #117
Raf
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Raf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respectedRaf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Here's what we ought to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Why would it be worse to take the cap hit for cutting Schaub? He will count $14.5 million against the cap if he's on the 2014 roster. Even if they take all of his dead money on the 2014 cap, Schaub would count $10.5 million. That's a $4 million cap savings. If they decide to designate Schaub a June 1st cut, there's only $3.5 million in dead money in 2014 ($7 million in 2015). That would be an $11 million cap savings. I don't see anything "worse" about that.
Until it's certain or rather until O'Brian is CERTAIN of what Schaub can or can't do in his system no one can flat out say it's $4.5 million in saving and a $10 million dead money cap hit. I don't care what anyone says, $10 million in cap space is a ton of money. A lot of players can be structured in with that much room.

If O'Brian is certain that Schaub won't cut it, sure...cut your losses and it's easily viewed as $4.5 million saved. But O'Brian could very well value the $10 million dead cap hit more than some are willing to believe. He could view it as Schaub not being $10 million cap dollars bad. Or even not as bad enough for him to take the $10M dead money hit and committing to one of these rookie QBs because that's in essence the case.

I see that here on this board along with social media that the masses talk about Schaub being released and $4.5M in saving as if it's imminent. These folks could be setting themselves up for huge disappointment. No one knows whether O'Brian values the $4.5M in cap savings over the $10M in dead money or vice versa, values the $10M cap hit over the $4.5 in cap saving, thus thinking Schaub and his contract is better than the rookie prospects.

I'm simply trying to view both sides objectively.

Last edited by Raf; 01-31-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Raf is offline   Reply With Quote