View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014   #113
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf View Post
My personal opinion.

-Don't want to commit to any of the QB prospects coming out this draft. Would rather have Clowney or Matthews. Strong belief in the "...in the trenches".

-Don't want to commit to any of the FA QBs either.

-Hate Schaub's salary but would be worse to take cap hit and cut him.

-I've been done with Schaub for some time now but the question has always begged in the back of my mind, "Could it be Kubiak that restricts Schaub"...sort of the "chick or the egg".

-Trying Schaub out one more year, you've completed the entire "process of elimination" by firing Kubiak and depending on the type of season Schaub has under O'Brian...you can somewhat put things to bed. If Schaub sucks....DONE! No second-guessing yourself. If he does well....then you benefit and can safely assume it lied on Kubiak's ultra-conservative approach.

-EVEN IF Schaub does well under O'Brian...DO NOT....I REPEAT.....DO NOT recommit to him under any circumstances. I don't care if he takes us to the AFC Championshiop...the best in Houston NFL history. Do not commit any further to him.

-If he does well, it allows you to filter through the other aspects of the team that held you back some, be it players at different spots or coaches or their approach. This is something of vital importance you wouldn't be able to do if you either did away with Schaub, ate the cap hit and commit to the wrong FA ior rookie drafted QB as the QB performance would eclipse or sort of distract the appropriate attention away from the other aspects of the team that are lacking. After all, QB is the most important position.

-If he sucks....you know what to do. By this time (perhaps a season later), you can safely put that issue to bed, you move on without any reservations. The cap hit is now drastically reduced. Potentially better FA QBs are on the market or possibly better QB prospects in the draft or at least one O'Brian eyes as HIS GUY. And vice-versa to the previous statement, you find out if other aspects of the game (players/coaches/approaches) were so strong that even despite the lack of positive QB play, those aspects showed tremendous strength and will, keeping the team in the game. That can be a good thing also.

O'Brian is said to be a great offensive mind and a QB guru. But we've heard that before and didn't bear much fruit. We're 0 for 1 with "QB guru"ism. Hopefully we're 1 for 2 with O'Brian and we can at least get decent production at the QB spot regardless of what name is on the back of the jersey. With that said, as much as I've chastised Schaub's name...if O'Brian decides to test it out with Schaub, not feeling too good about the rookie QB prospects, getting something out of the cap hit Vs. cutting him....even if it doesn't result in wins but however does clear things up for him in other ways and still proves to be just as valuable......then I'm up FOR that.

Would make sense to me. I'm sure most wouldn't be able to wrap their heads around it due to last year's results and how disgusted they are with Schaub. But this guy here thinks there's benefits to everything, no matter how grim things are. O'Brian's new here and I'm backing his decisions from the get go. My support may dimish as time goes on, as it did with Kubes....but for now...I'm in 100% until he forces me not to.

Your opinion is logical and rational. I see your point.

But, it's sometimes better to scrap the whole thing and start all over.

This team has, for years, too often put off what needs to be done, often under the idea of giving player/coach x "one more year."

Nine times out of ten, that hasn't worked out, and usually the person we've given one more year to does not improve.

Is it possible Schaub was held back by Kubiak? Yes. Is it possible he could thrive under O'Brien? Yes. But I don't care. We have a new coach, who has a new system and wants to train his own QB. Let's get started on that RIGHT NOW rather than wait a year, see IF Schaub works and then drafting a QB next year. A draft, mind you, that we have no idea where we will be picking.

No, it's best to just move on from Schaub, and let him move on in his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote