View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014   #55
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Matt Schaub gives Texans best chance to win in 2014" -Marshall Faulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
The thought that any of us armchair GM's think we know better than someone like Marshall Faulk is laughable anyway. Schaub had a bad year. It happens.
Marshall Faulk hates the Texans. I would not be surprised if this is some kind of insidious way to sabotage us!!

Honestly, though, Faulk is just a talking head now. For instance, Ted "Three Rings" Johnson is just as qualified as an opinion as Faulk, and he holds the opposite opinion from Faulk. Dude was even predicting Schaub's decline before the 2013 season and people were slamming him for it. But, turns out, he was on the mark.

Point being, I tend to think a lot of these talking heads are paid for opinions, not expertise. I truly think if any of them were experts, they'd be on staff of an NFL team. But instead, they make a nice salary just spouting opinions for our entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
And this is the problem. Dr. CND has posted many times the condition is degenerative -- getting steadily worse.
This is where my perspective comes from, as well. CND warned us about Schaub's condition as degenerative in 2012, and everything he said from a medical perspective braced us for the reality. iirc, I don't think Schaub's injury is one that improves, according to the good doctor, so it is possible that Schaub is not going to be consistently productive as an NFL starter again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
I agree with that, but you will agree that most on this board, and most in the FB comments on official posts by the Texans, even when the post had nothing to do with Schaub. Mob mentality towards Schaub, especially in 2013.
'eh, gotta' be careful with generalizations. Sure, there are those that shoot arrows at every chance, but there are others that try to be objective and pragmatic.

As you know, the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" league. Past performances are good for reflection after retirement, but not necessarily a good way to gauge certain aspects of a player.

I would not scream bloody murder if Schaub was kept around, but I do not think it will happen. His health is certainly a concern, but I think 2013 was as much mental as it was physical for Schaub. I have no idea, but would not be surprised if O'Brien does not want to inherit the last regime's mess.