View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014   #95
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Richard Sherman's Big Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
By today's standards it is not considered trash talking in hindsight.

However, at the time, it was controversial and certainly considered unsportsmanlike by many of the old guard NFL.

This was when the AFL was still considered a sub-par league and many did not think they deserved to play on the same field as the NFL.

Joe Namath's mouth wrote a check that he cashed on the field.

According to USA Today, Namath is on the All-time NFL trash-talk team.

Here's some more information to understand perceptions and attitudes of the day:

Not a banquet, but a bar and a heckler.

And "peckerwood" for Bayless because I like to whip out those old tags that used to get thrown around when I was a kid.

Even funnier (to me, at least) is typing "skip bayless peckerwood" into Google and finding this:

Apparently I'm not the only one that put the two together!
Agreed, brash by the day's standards. I was just pointing out it was an example of the press blowing it out of proportion, even for that time. (say it ain't so, right?..lol)

Namath actually said in an interview I saw years ago (no link, sorry) that it was the Miami Touchdown Club Banquet (or something like that) but he was probably drunk and didn't know where he was.

As far as "peckerwood" goes, that word has always cracked me up. I don't know why.