View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014   #94
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Richard Sherman's Big Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Well, not really. I don't you got where "talking trash" from. IIRC, he was at a banquet of some kind and was asked by a Colts fan who basically prefaced the question "do you think you can win" with saying the Jets didn't have a chance. Any athlete worth his salt would have said "yes" in response to the question. The part where he guaranteed it was almost certainly in response to how the question was presented. I'd have said it too if I were Namath under the circumstances.

I am like you in my thoughts about Bayless. He represents the worst of what reporters are and have been over the years. Nothing good comes to mind when I see him or his name, but "peckerwood"???
By today's standards it is not considered trash talking in hindsight.

However, at the time, it was controversial and certainly considered unsportsmanlike by many of the old guard NFL.

This was when the AFL was still considered a sub-par league and many did not think they deserved to play on the same field as the NFL.

Joe Namath's mouth wrote a check that he cashed on the field.

According to USA Today, Namath is on the All-time NFL trash-talk team.

Here's some more information to understand perceptions and attitudes of the day:

Quote:
Broadway Joe delivers

Namath’s brash confidence was never more on display than in a public appearance in the days leading up to Super Bowl III, when he assured a heckler that the Jets (19-point underdogs) would beat the Colts (reputedly the best team in NFL history), even going so far as to say "I guarantee it." Namath’s trash-talking drew criticism from many in the NFL, who doubted his ability and insisted the AFL could not really compete with the older, more established NFL.
Not a banquet, but a bar and a heckler.

Quote:
The famous prediction was in fact Namath’s frustrated response to simple trash-talk in a bar in the lead up to the game. He was sick of the disrespect he and his team were getting, may well have had some booze in his system and probably thought the statement would be forgotten. If the Jets had been thrashed as they should have been few would even have remembered the guarantee.

Source
And "peckerwood" for Bayless because I like to whip out those old tags that used to get thrown around when I was a kid.

Even funnier (to me, at least) is typing "skip bayless peckerwood" into Google and finding this:

Quote:
RT @ErnestAnthony: I think it's impressive the way you guys always find a way to win. Skip Bayless is a peckerwood and needs to be slapped
Apparently I'm not the only one that put the two together!