Originally Posted by thunderkyss
You're right, I mispoke. It was a renegotiation. It's also my understanding that they have to wait a full year before they can alter his contract again. According to SI.com, Andre's deal was done in September. That would be too late to help us get new players into camp.
1. Andre's restructure was Sep 3.
2. It wasn't to get people into camp,
3. This is the 3rd straight year Andre has restructured.
4. $5 million of the 2014 salary cap is a result AJ's multiple restructuring and other bonuses.
5. AJ restructured last year to accommodate Cushing new contract and the increase to the 53 man roster.
6. AJ can restructure for a 4th straight year after Sep 3 but still prior to the start of the new league year.
Beginning of the new year (March) only the Top 51 contracts count against the salary cap. Usually about 5PM the day before the new season starts (usually Wedneday following Labor Day) the salary cap roster is expanded to include the final 53 man roster that must be salary cap compliant.