View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014   #27
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61508 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' Cap space......and the rest of the League

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So how's that different than the Patriots? Like I said, we've got twice as many players with a $6M+ cap number than they do & they've only got $5M more than we've got. If Talib was signed for another year, they would be in the same boat.

I do not agree with this. Back loaded contracts, to me, is like money in that bank. The mistake, I think, is letting these guys play out those portions of their contracts. Mario for instance, the Texans should have known (& probably did) what they valued Mario at before the 2011 season, he never should have been allowed to play for $18M, that money should have been converted to a bonus & Mario extended for at least 4 years.

I like Mario, but there's no way he was worth an $18M salary or cap hit. If we couldn't reach a deal, I would have tried to trade him. No other team would have wanted to pay the $18M, but they could have worked out a new contract, just like we did with Schaub. He could have been a Patriot, for a lot less than $96M.

You say you like back loaded contracts but then you say Mario's back loaded contract was a mistake, can't have it both ways, back loaded contracts are detrimental to your salary cap as you explained with all the negative reasons on Mario's contract.

I'm still not seeing it. I can see how you've allowed several facts to add up to a particular result.... but that deterioration has more to do (in my mind) with Schaub second guessing himself, Foster's back issues, & Cushing's knee than it does with an inability to sign quality free agents or replace starters. Kj, Manning, Swearinger, & Jjo were a big part of our problem in 2013 & we paid a pretty penny for each one of them.

Then you take into account that our 2nd round pick (Ben Tate) didn't perform as well as the bum New England picked up off the street (Lagarrett Blount) regardless of the reason.....

Matt Schaub & our secondary, if they'd have played up to their contracts, 2013 would have played out a lot differently. That doesn't sound like mismanaging the salary cap... not the way you're saying. I can understand people who say we spent to much on Schaub or that we shouldn't have extended him & had a replacement in place since 2010. But what you're saying doesn't make sense.
You are using a lot of If's , And's, But's and excuses along with a whole lot of supposition, wishing and hoping to say in your perfect world the Texans would've been 12-4, Division Champs and going to the Super Bowl. When the reality is the Texans would be closer to 8-8 NOT 12-4. The Dallas Cowboys are a team that has a very similar roster and similar salary cap math problems for the last 3 years. For the last 3 years the Cowboys have been 8-8. 8-8 is a whole lot closer to the reality of the situation than the fantasy world you've created through your numerous excuses, if's, and's or but's. Many of your excuses, if's And's or but's are part of the realities of NFL. The one area in Texans favor is the AFC South has been the weak sister of the NFL the last few years. Not any more.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote