View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014   #219
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jake Matthews now #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Earlier in the season , I preferred Matthews .... In general I still do.

But .... Circumstances dictate course of action.

The circumstances here are simple - We don't have a quarterback. If you don't have a franchise QB , you go get one. Teddy , should he declare is probably your best bet to become that franchise QB , at least in this draft.

I don't want one of the scrap heap QB's that will be FA's this offseason , they have all proven they aren't "Franchise Quarterbacks." They are Schaub or worse .... I've had enough of that.

I guess you do have the option of drafting Matthews and letting Case act like an NFL QB for another season then drafting Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota in the 2015 draft .... but I'm not so sure I can stomach another season like this one.
I understand where you are going here, and I wouldn't mind waiting a year or so for that franchise QB opportunity. I think a lot of teams waste a lot of years drafting a QB out of need when they aren't really drafting a true franchise QB, and then their team's big run gets delayed several years as they are looking for a franchise QB again. The Cleveland Browns and the Jags are perfect examples of teams that continually make this mistake. If O'Brien doesn't feel like any of these QB's are going to for surely be franchise QB's then I'd rather him get a franchise Olineman if he feels that Mathews is that guy. I just don't want the pick wasted on any position. Lets just make sure that we're getting a solid player that can contribute hopefully at a Pro Bowl level for many years.

Now the problem with waiting until next season with the idea of getting guys like Mariota or Winston is the fact that tons of teams are going to be wanting those guys next year too. What are the odds that the Texans will be at a #1 draft spot again next year? I highly doubt we will even be in the top 5. If so, that would mean we had a terrible season next year. I don't think that will happen and we will probably be picking somewhere around 15 or so. Just a guess as of now. So, how does that put us in a position next year to get that franchise guy? It puts us at an even lower probability to find that guy most likely.

Having the #1 pick this season is great, but it isn't an easy choice at all this season to me. I think you can approach this from several different routes or strategies, and many of them can go wrong. None of these QB's have that Andrew Luck type of "can't miss" feel to them. They all have certain question marks that are pretty glaring along with the upside as well. I don't envy O'Brien's task that is in front of him at all with this draft any way.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote