View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Texans' Cap space......and the rest of the League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Here is what I am saying, on average each NFL team allocates approx. $5 million each year to cover IR replacements, practice squad and LTBEs (Likely to Be Earned, Incentives). Taking this into account that leaves the Texans roughly $3 million over the cap. The Texans will also have approx 15 contracts to replace due to the number of players lost in free agency this year. The Texans do not have the salary cap space to spend the money needed to replace any lost players with equal or better talent. Once again the Texans will have to make due with signing vet minimum, rookie contracts and the draft to complete their rosters. The Texans will also restructure some contracts (borrow money form future years) in order to have enough money to pay for their 53 man roster/contracts.
So how's that different than the Patriots? Like I said, we've got twice as many players with a $6M+ cap number than they do & they've only got $5M more than we've got. If Talib was signed for another year, they would be in the same boat.

Quote:
Signing bonuses are OK but the bottom line with any contract is the Guaranteed Money. Back loading contracts is what destroys Salary Caps. Ideally contracts should be constructed with as much front end money as possible.
I do not agree with this. Back loaded contracts, to me, is like money in that bank. The mistake, I think, is letting these guys play out those portions of their contracts. Mario for instance, the Texans should have known (& probably did) what they valued Mario at before the 2011 season, he never should have been allowed to play for $18M, that money should have been converted to a bonus & Mario extended for at least 4 years.

I like Mario, but there's no way he was worth an $18M salary or cap hit. If we couldn't reach a deal, I would have tried to trade him. No other team would have wanted to pay the $18M, but they could have worked out a new contract, just like we did with Schaub. He could have been a Patriot, for a lot less than $96M.

Quote:
This scenario is the same scenario and pattern of behavior used by the Texans the last two years. As a result the Texans teams have deteriorated since 2011 because of attrition. The Texans have not had the available money to use in free agency to replace starters and good back ups. Instead they've had to make due with minimum contracts and the drafts. Drafts have been disappointing especially after round 1. As a result starters have been replaced with lesser talent, along 2nd team backups. This lesser talent also has a direct diverse affect on the Special Teams. That in a nutshell is the story of your Houston Texans today and why each year for the last two years they have become less competitive with each passing year.
I'm still not seeing it. I can see how you've allowed several facts to add up to a particular result.... but that deterioration has more to do (in my mind) with Schaub second guessing himself, Foster's back issues, & Cushing's knee than it does with an inability to sign quality free agents or replace starters. Kj, Manning, Swearinger, & Jjo were a big part of our problem in 2013 & we paid a pretty penny for each one of them.

Then you take into account that our 2nd round pick (Ben Tate) didn't perform as well as the bum New England picked up off the street (Lagarrett Blount) regardless of the reason.....

Matt Schaub & our secondary, if they'd have played up to their contracts, 2013 would have played out a lot differently. That doesn't sound like mismanaging the salary cap... not the way you're saying. I can understand people who say we spent to much on Schaub or that we shouldn't have extended him & had a replacement in place since 2010. But what you're saying doesn't make sense.