View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014   #167
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I dunno how much he had to do with it. I think Duane Brown becoming a solid LT had a lot to do with it, and so did bringing in Wade Smith. We still had Mike Brisiel at the time too, Winston at RT and Myers has always been the center. We still had Vonta for another year, before moving Casey into the FB role. And of course, the biggest X factor was Arian Foster coming alive.

I'm not sure how much can be attributed to Dennison. I mean, what did he really change? Did our ZBS change significantly or at all? Did he call the running plays? I really didn't notice much of a difference in the running plays being called, it always seemed rather vanilla to me. We just had really good run-blocking from our o-line at the time, but then we lost our RG and RT and it all went to hell.
Dennison got here in 2010 and that was Fosters first big "holy ****" year and it basically continued until 2013 when everybody died. You can give all the credit to Foster (I'm sure some fans on this board will disagree) or Dennison or Kubiak, but when Dennison arrived, the run game came alive.

It was pretty obvious that when Kyle S. left the passing game took a bit of a hit, but when Dennison came in the running game took a huge leap in usage and efficiency. The best running team we really had prior to Dennison was in 2008 when Slaton had his one good year (And even then, we still had problems with short distance running).