View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New coaching regime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Yeah , the same guy who turned Schaub into a multi time pro bowler ..... Kubiak didn't all the sudden forget how to coach , Schaub had health issues.
Keenum was an UDFA , there is a reason he went undrafted .... He just didn't have the ability to be a successful NFL QB. The only thing he can do is improvise.

Clowney ?! 3 sacks last season. Unmotivated , questionable character and injury issues .... Yeah , that screams draft me 1:1.
Yeah, I completely agree that Schaub's demise was the result of him losing that tiny little shred of athletic ability that allowed him to keep his head above water for so many years. He couldn't do it anymore so he got desperate and began making stupid mistakes trying to force it. Ok, I also think that some of the smarter defenses in the league had worked out certain tendencies that the Texans had and exploited them (Matt probably making it easier to do in falling back on them so much).

Keenum I've been thinking about a lot lately. Those first three starts. 17-16 loss to the Chiefs, a 24-27 loss to the Colts, and a 24-27 loss to the Cardinals. 6 TD's and no picks.

I just keep wondering if that might have played out differently had the Texans won one or more of those games. So much depends on momentum in the NFL and it's like these three very close losses just snuffed out the very real spark Keenum brought to the team. After a few weeks to let the stink of the season fade a bit and after stepping back to look at the entirety of the thing (which I believe is an absolute must. It's 16 games that are all part of a narrative. Looking at just Keenum's starts, or just Schaub's starts doesn't give you an accurate picture. Wins and losses need to be placed in the correct context I think). I've concluded that Case Keenum isn't done. He may be done here as a result of the change that this season brought about but I don't think we've seen the last of him in the NFL and I don't think we've seen the best of him either.

I don't think that the only thing he can do is improvise. Think about that for a moment. that's just silly. He can execute a game plan. He can run an offense and yes, he can read a defense. The situation speaks for itself and I'm going to say right now that you could not have placed any NFL QB in that situation and gotten results. Too many issues. Line issues, RB injury issues, defensive issues. The season was lost before Keenum ever got on the field and he wasn't going to be able to change that.

When a team loses 14 straight games that's the kind of event that has taken on a life of its own. You don't right that mess with a second year QB very often. Usually never.

The Clowney thing I agree with you on though. He's the only defender who appeared to rate the 1-1 pick and his issues make him a real risk at 1-1. I think that Clowney being a question mark will contribute as much to our going QB at 1-1 as the relative quality of any available QB prospect. If Clowney had come through this year he'd be the pick and we'd roll with a second rounder or possibly even Keenum again. Instead I think we take Bridgewater and hope it works out.