Thread: Manziel
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014   #1729
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105991 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
So tonight's games really has me thinking about the appeal of a mobile/dual threat QB and how it applies to Manziel. Kaepernick and Wilson are the two poster boys for mobile QBs in todays NFL, and I must say from a pure QB standpoint I wasn't impressed with either of them tonight. Now was this because they rely so much on their ability to extend/make plays with their legs, or is it because they are both still really young guys who have a lot of learning to do.

Kaep made some outstanding plays with his legs including one really nice long run to set up a touchdown, but when it came down to it he lost the game because of his inability to make the correct throws. Wilson of course won the game, but outside of a couple extended plays with his legs, he didn't overly impress either and the Hawks defense is what won them the game.

So are these guys just products of their system and benefactors of two of the best defenses in the league, or are they really two of the best young QBs in the game? Put either of these guys on our current team and how many wins do they net us? As it stands, are we a playoff team with either of these guys at the helm? And if not, how much better can we expect Manziel to be in the event we do take him first overall? Do you view Manziel as having a higher ceiling than either Wilson or Kaep?

I guess what I am asking is this whole dual threat QB era just a fad and a mirage? Or are these guys really paving the way for players like Manziel to come in and have long successful careers in the NFL?
I think it's too early to say. Wilson and Kaep have done a lot in a short amount of time, but it's still two-three seasons early before we can really start calling this a trend. If Manziel has sustained success in the league I think we can start calling it a trend.