View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Brian Hoyer/Ryan Mallet ?

I'm not big on college football. I occasionally watch when there is a player that garners a lot of attention (hype), but that doesn't happen often. That said, all I can do is go back to old scouting reports & try to get a feel for these guys. Looking at Mallet, I find it hard to understand why he wasn't selected earlier, even harder to understand how guys like Blain Gabbert, Jake Locker, & Ryan Tannehill were selected ahead of him.
Gil Alcaraz, New Era Scouting
Quote:
Final Word: Any team would be glad to have a player of Mallett’s ability and leadership taking snaps for their offense. Passing stats come easily and in large quantities for Mallett, who is as productive as they come at the quarterback spot.

After having an up-and-down season in 2009, he came back in 2010 after considering the NFL and proved that he could be smarter and more consistent with his decisions. He has shown great maturation since joining Arkansas in 2008 as a transfer from Michigan.

Mallett has all of the tools to become a sensational quarterback in the NFL. No matter the situation, he is a proven leader and hard worker, but can sometimes lose focus when things start to fall apart, as evidenced by Arkansas’ 2009 loss to Alabama. Mallett completed just 34 percent of his passes as the Razorbacks lost by a score of 35-7.

Teammates seem to rally around his vocal leadership and feed off his positive energy, but scouts will need to look into why coaches at Michigan had issues with him that eventually led to him transferring.

During spring practices in 2008, he missed the final two weeks due to an injured finger on his throwing hand. Other than that, there are no standout durability issues for Mallett.

Given the right coaching and the proper system, he could potentially put up big numbers in the NFL just as he did under Petrino. In order to succeed, he will need to work on controlling his strength on deep balls and making better decisions with defenders bearing down on him.

If the right circumstances arise, Mallett could come off the board in the late first/early second round of the 2011 draft.
He's got a lot of the same things the QBs in this class have, in different combinations, but enough (I think) to warrant a 1st round grade. Definitely NFL starter material.

Size
Major conference
Prolific
Pro style offense
Pocket Passer
Arm strength
Good decisions

What am I missing?