Thread: Blake Bortles
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014   #319
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The problem with the idea that there's no one worth 1-1 is that you've got to take someone. If no one wants to trade with you, then you've either got to give something up to induce someone to take it off your hands or you have to make a decision.

The problem is thinking that 1-1 has to be the best player in the draft and has to be the second coming of Peyton Manning. 1-1 has to be the player you think can make the biggest impact with your team that you're not going to be able to take at your next draft pick.

If a middle linebacker is the guy who's going to make the biggest impact and he's not going to be there at your next pick and no one wants to trade with you, then you take that guy with 1-1. If it's a guard or a safety, then you take that guy.

This whole argument that you don't take rush linebackers or you don't take right tackles doesn't work for me although I know a lot of people ascribe to that philosophy.

You make a decision and you roll the dice. (Assuming, like I said, you can't trade and end up in a better position.)
This is sort of my thought as well as I do not care what other teams think of my pick. The purpose of draft is to build the roster. At each pick, I want the BPA that moves team closer to a Super Bowl. Due to our roster, we have to fill team needs as we see priority. We can tell from comments on this MB in many threads that there is a disagreement over how those needs should be prioritized. On my current non trade mock, I have C J Mosley 1-1. I see him as one of the most NFL ready least risk player available + he fills a priority need.