Thread: Ideal Scenarios
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014   #124
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 25944 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ideal Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
No one disagrees with the fact that Obrien will evaluate every player on the roster.

What we disagree with is your ideal scenario of pissing away another year with Keenum.

There are more holes in the roster than there are draft picks , this , despite McNair's belief that it is , isn't a quick fix.

Yes , the defense needs a couple holes filled one way or another. Ninja , Earl Mitchell and Tate being FA's probably the three most obvious.

Drafting a QB early doesn't mean you cant fix the majority of those holes via the draft. Here , let me show you:

Round 1 - Your QB of choice. Pick one , any one.
Round 2 - Trent Murphy. - DE Stanford
Round 3 - JaWuan James - OT Tennessee
Round 4 - Arthur Lynch - TE Georgia
Round 5 - Ryan Carrethers - DT Arkansas State
Round 6 - Andrew Jackson - ILB Western Kentucky
Round 7 - De'Anthony Thomas - RB Oregon

That fills most of the problem positions .... other than maybe OG (Wade Smith??) , OLB and Safety.
Disagreeing with my scenario is not an issue. A reasoned response like your latest is not an issue. It's the unreasoned responses that gets my goat.

(I thought about giving some examples, but I've changed my mind. I think most readers know what I'm referring to.)

My "ideal scenario" is exactly that, my idea of an "ideal". I think it more likely we trade back for extra picks and then the question becomes, where do we draft a QB.

In an early post, I stated that I only count the first three rounds as representing "quality" picks - and maybe round 4. Players taken in rounds 5 thru 7 seldom make an impact, much less makes an impact their first year, although occasionally you do hit the jackpot. But by this definition, you've addressed our defensive deficiencies with only one player, Trent Murphy. Now, of course, some spots will be addressed with a FA, but still, this is basically going into next season with our current starters and hoping the coaches will be able to make something good happen. But if Thompson, who's played under Crennel, knows what he's talking about, then we may be defensively weak and this doesn't bode well for a significant turn around.

The whole basis of my "ideal scenario" is not to have tunnel vision about the QB position and to build toward two/three years down the road.

McNair wants to "win now", but I hardly think he expects a playoff team next year. As a self made billionaire, I think he knows how to evaluate realistic expectations. I do think he expects the team to be above .500.

Now, taking into consideration that this is an "ideal" scenario, if O'Brien thinks he can win with Keenum, I don't think we will "piss away" next season. If you do think this will be the case, then you are saying you have a very low opinion on O'Brien's decision making and must think we made the wrong decision choosing him as our coach. Now, you might legitimately argue that there is no way that O'Brien will come to this decision, but you can't argue against my "ideal scenario" without also taking a negative position against O'Brien under these circumstances.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote