Thread: Manziel
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014   #1559
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I am only going to disagree with your conclusion not your rhetoric comments. There has long been a rule of thumb that future draft picks are valued one round lower for each year they are brought forward. Under that, three 1sts if in consecutive years are valued at a 1st, 2nd and 3rd this year. Doesn't mean it happens but the value isn't off much. 4, 26, 68 and next year's 1st would be 4, 26, 68 and a 2nd this year. That also is not crazy although a 2nd next year (valued as a 3rd this year) would be closer.
There is no rhetoric involved, I posted the facts of the two instances of the first overall pick being traded in the last 30 years, and neither of the two trades were on the level of what some people expect to get for ours. I understand there is a school of thought for what a pick is worth, but the first overall is different and the fact is it just doesn't get traded, which is evidenced by it only happening twice in the last 3 decades.

My personal opinion is the RG3 trade is a cautionary tale for many GMs in the future as to why you don't give up huge haul for just one guy.