View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014   #158
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137393 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: University of Texas' Head Coach search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
From what I have seen, Aggy is the equivalent of the TU thing. I see it all the time on ESPN comments and message boards. Some of the more antagonistic people like to put an F in front of it, or say "aggot" too. If you go to Txags, you will see a lot worse names than TU or Tsip as well, but this is the internet, so everyone is a tough guy.

I personally think it's all pretty stupid, but I'm not real big on A&M traditions either. Usually it's the more indoctrinated folks who use those slurs, especially the Corps. Corps guys, more than anyone I ever met on campus, push those traditions of hating UT and everything with a hint of orange. They also have a lot of stupid and, to put it frankly, homosexual traditions within the Corps, which give the rest of the school a bad name. Those guys are pretty weird, but they have a huge voice at A&M, so they tend to keep a lot of these traditions alive, such as referring to UT and TU at every yell practice and staving off even the least bit of changing the way we do things.

Personally, I'm hoping the move to the SEC will remove a lot of that stuff, and I hope they make an effort to change the songs as well. Shifting the focus from hating UT to our new rivals, or just propping up A&M in general would be much more preferable... but I'm probably in the minority on that.
TLDR; Corps guys are weird.

Look, I'll admit to being a bit of an ass at times, especially when my Longhorn cousin was over for New Years Eve and we were watching the Chick Fil A Bowl. He was in my ear the whole time about "Aggy this" or "Aggy that". When Duke recovered the onside kick before the 1st half ended he started singing The Eyes of Texas. You can imagine how I behaved when the comeback happened and when the game sealing interception happened I gave him the horns down, started signing the War Hymn. But at no point did either of us get upset or mad (just a little annoyed). The rivalry is fun, and my best friends from high school over in Austin give me a hard time about some A&M stuff and I give them a hard time about Longhorn stuff. It's a fun rivalry but like any sports rivalry you just have to keep in mind that it's sports and really nothing to get upset about. There are fans on both sides with some hardcore psycho ex-girlfriend mentality.

I love the War Hymn, don't get me wrong, but... we're not in the Big XII and we don't play UT anymore. Count me in on the "change it" bandwagon. There's a little used first verse to it anyway, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any references to the Orange and the White. If we meet the Longhorns in a bowl game or finally resume play I'll gladly saw 'em off in the stands, but until then... what the **** are we sawing off? Auburn, LSU, Mizzou's stripes? Alabama's elephant tusks? (Actually that's not a bad idea... So long to Bama University, so long to the crimson and the white, good luck... hey, kinda works)

I love quite a bit of our traditions but some stuff you just know is antiquated. I wish A&M wasn't as stubborn to change but who knows? Things might change after a while. The university is changing slowly but surely and in time I think it'll come around.

For now I'm just enjoying besting UT on the recruiting trail. That's one competition we're still engaged in
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote